Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    Should I Build:  Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    Is that something that you can source locally? Plywood greater than 3/4" is not common in the US.
    I think he may be using Baltic Birch which is available here in 1" 4'x8' sheets.. The 3/4" stuff comes in 5'x5' sheets. This is what's available here in my area.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Should I Build: Onken Box For Altec 604E?s ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I beleive those are braces. I'm not sure where you guys are getting "wings" from. Those gaps are the ports.
    I guess you could call them that since they do double duty as braces and creating multiple long vents [6 in this alignment], which in turn creates the [lower] mids pipe harmonic distortion that comb filters with the driver's output that many folks find euphonic.

    GM

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Do NOT (Rabbet or Dado) the braces into the panels as this will weaken the panels.This will cause them to resonate IMHO..
    Hmm, done right, the dado will have more surface area to bond to, so superior in strength, but creates HF 'hotspots' due to its much higher stiffness, so always a trade-off in that if it is a corner, then dropping it might only ding it, yet snap/shear the entire area around it; whereas a simple butt joint might cushion it enough to only require bracing up the corner a bit.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.